Facebook was founded back in 2004 as a social networking site that helps people communicate more efficiently with their friends, family and coworkers. Anyone can sign up to Facebook and interact with people in their network in a trusted and secure environment. Since Facebook was launched it has become one of the biggest social networking sites in the world.
To give you an idea here are some amazing facts you may or may not have known about Facebook:
Facebook has over 500 million users worldwide-the equivalent of connecting with 8% of the world’s population
Facebook has rapidly grown since January 2009 when Facebook only had 150 million users but Mark Zuckerberg is confident Facebook will reach 1 billion in the near future. In the UK alone Facebook has over 26 million users which is more than a third of the country’s population.
Facebook is worth $50 billion. 25 times more than last year!
According to a report by The New York Times, Goldman Sachs and a Russian Investor has invested $500 million into Facebook making it twice the value of Yahoo about equal to what well-established names like Boeing and Kraft Foods are worth on the open market. That’s crazy! Facebook has raised more than $800 million over five rounds of funding making the social network raising a total of $1.3 billion and the company’s valuation a whopping $50 billion. In November 2010 Facebook was worth $41 billion.
If Facebook were a country it would be the 3rd largest in the world
…behind China and India. Making it larger than the US, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nigeria.
An average Facebook user spends about 55 minutes a day on the site
- An average Facebook user spends about 6.50 hours a week, 1.20 days a month on the site where there are over 900 million objects that users can interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages) where the average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events.
- Users create on average 90 pieces of content each month, more than 30 billion pieces of content overall (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums etc) and over 900 million objects that people interact with.
- Facebook’s translation application supports over 100 languages where over 300,000 users translate through this app.
- Over 150 million people engage with Facebook on external websites every month.
- There are over 100 million active users accessing Facebook currently through their mobile devices.
Source: Facebook Statistics